In order to be a good doctor, it is important that you treat each patient as if they were your grandmother, mother, wife, sister or daughter. Each patient is special and they should be made to feel that way.
Meet Dr. Novoa
Dr. Novoa was born in Lima, Peru. He graduated with honors from Meharry Medical School in 1995. He completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology through the Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC) in Baltimore, MD in 1999.
In August 1999, Dr. Novoa moved to El Paso from Baltimore, Maryland and over a three year period of time developed one of the largest OB/GYN practices in El Paso. In 2003, Dr. Novoa expanded his practice to include cosmetic procedures and is currently the only Cosmetic OB/GYN in the El Paso area providing services to include Cosmetic Surgery, Reproductive Health, Sexual Medicine and Obstetrics/Gynecology and AWAKE procedures as well as primary case services and high-risk obstetrical care to include Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Section (VBAC) and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Section x2 (VBA2C).
The Cosmetic OB/GYN practices a multi-disciplinary "Minimally Invasive Surgery" approach to the management of women's health care.
The philosophy of Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) is fundamentally based on the practice of medical techniques that prevent surgery, and, when surgery is necessary, it is the practice of surgical techniques that minimize scarring and shorten the period of postoperative recovery.
It is the practice of medicine which reduces the risks of Cesarean Section (C/S) and the promotion of the Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Section (VBAC). When a Cesarean Section is necessary, it is the practice of surgical techniques that reduce the size and appearance of C/S scarring to include the use of absorbable sutures rather than staples.
Dr. Novoa has impressive success rates with both uncomplicated and high-risk vaginal deliveries such as the VBAC. Despite delivering more than 3000 babies since starting his practice in 1999, and currently delivering around 150-200 babies per year, Dr. Novoa has one of the lowest primary Cesarean section rates in the United States which is currently lower than 10 percent for primary Cesarean Section deliveries.* His delivery stats are available online with monthly primary C/S rates as low as 10%, which is 3x lower than the national average. His current rate of Cesarean section for the VBAC/VBA2C is also 10%.*
*The current rate of Cesarean Section in the US is above 30 percent. The World Health Organization (WHO), and the US Department of Health and Human Services (Healthy People 2010) recommend a primary Cesarean section rate at or below 15 percent. Each of these organizations also encourage offering TOL/VBAC to patients although fewer than 5 percent of Obstetricians offer this service.
Dr. Novoa received the 2012 & 2013 Patient's Choice Awards for being one of Texas' Favorite Physicians while also receiving the 2012 & 2013 Most Compassionate Doctor Awards. He also consistently scores high on evaluations by Physician Evaluation sites, such as www.vitals.com and received the 2014 Top 10 Doctor Award. For his cosmetic practice, he was awarded the 2010 & 2011 Best of the Best Award for Best Place for a Nip-Tuck by What's Up magazine.
Dr. Novoa's interests include the management of teen and high risk pregnancies and he specializes in high-risk deliveries such as Trial of Labor After Cesarean Section (TOLAC)/ Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Section (VBAC) and Twin Vaginal Delivery.
He is one of the few doctors in the El Paso area who encourages Trial of Labor Ater Cesarean Section (TOLAC)/Vaginal Birth after Cesarean Section (VBAC) and previous Cesarean Section x2.*
Dr. Novoa is trained in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, as well as, in-office and outpatient procedures for the diagnosis and management of urinary incontinence, abnormal vaginal bleeding and abnormal PaP smears.
He also specializes in pelvic reconstructive surgery for the treatment of vaginal and uterine prolapse and procidentia, as well as, Cosmetic Gynecology. Currently, he offers the unique surgery known as Virginal Size Restoration surgery (VSRS).
He has performed hundreds of vaginal and vulvar modifications following vaginal delivery, which has placed him in an small group of reconstructive pelvic surgeons and cosmetic gynecologists.
Dr. Novoa provides services traditionally offered by OB/GYN doctors. He has further expanded his practice to include contemporary services which include cosmetic procedures such as body piercing, BOTOX, and JUVEDERM™.
Dr. Novoa also offers hormonal treatment for the management of sexual dysfunction for both men (andropause) and women (female sexual dysfunction).
Dr. Novoa provides the following AWAKE Procedures to his patients wishing cosmetic improvement.
- AWAKE Breast Augmentation
- AWAKE Liposuction
- AWAKE Lipoabdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- AWAKE Vaginal Rejuvenation and Virginal Size Restoration Surgery
- BOTOX Cosmetics and Juvederm filler
- Restylane and Perlane fillers
- BioForm Medical
- OrthoNeutrogena Aesthetics
- GentleYag and GentleLase Laser Systems
- SmoothPeel Laser System
- Starlux 500 Laser
- IPL systems (including the 1064, 1540, the Lux G, Y, R and V handsets)
- EVLT Non-surgical Endovenous Laser Treatment System
- American Medical Systems (AMS)
- Monarc Subfascial Hammock
- MiniArc Single-Incision Sling
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
- Medical Director: Novoa Women and Teen Center
- Board of Managers: Physicians Dedicated to Women’s and Children’s Healthcare, LLC
- Committee Member: Multi-disciplinary Committee: Office Cosmetic Procedures Committee of the Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
Dr. Novoa is a member of the following medical associations:
- Associate Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS)
- Associate Member of the International Society of Cosmetogynecology (ISCG)
- Associate Fellow of the American Association of Cosmetic Breast Surgery (ASCBS)
- Vice-Chair: Department of OB/GYN, Del Sol Medical Center
- Vice-Chair: Department of OB/GYN, Sierra Medical Center
- Medical Director: First Choice OB/GYN Associates, P.A.
- Medical Director: First Choice Physician Associates, P.A.
- Committee Member: Del Sol Medical Center, Continuing Medical Education
- Medical Director: Preferred Teen Center, Thomason Annex Building
Dr. Novoa has Obstretical and Gynecological privileges at the following hospitals:
- Del Sol Medical Center **
- Las Palmas Medical Center **
- Providence Memorial Hospital
- Sierra Medical Center
** Dr. Novoa has privileges at Las Palmas and Del Sol. However, due to the complexity of some of the vaginal deliveries that he manages (including VBAC and VBA2C), Dr. Novoa only delivers at Sierra Medical Center.
- University of Maryland Baltimore County: 1986-1987
- University of Maryland University College: 1988
- Frederick Community College: 1988
- University of Maryland Baltimore County: 1988-1989
- Meharry Medical College: 1990-1994
Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center: 1995-1999
- Submitted Medical Residency Award Paper: "Risk Assessment of Uterine Rupture During Trial of Labor: Evaluation of a VBAC Scoring System."
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS):
300-91A10 - Medical Specialist
- Basic Training: Fort Bliss, Texas: 3/87
- Nominated Soldier of Cycle
Advanced Individual Training:
Fort Sam Houston, Texas: 5/87
- Nominated Soldier of Cycle
- Distinguished Honor Graduate of Class
Fort Detrick, Maryland: 7/87-3/89
- Honor Graduate Desert Training Course:
- Army Training Evaluation Program (ARTEP): Dragon Summit
- Letter of Commendation
- Technician in Department of Experimental Pathology, Electron Microscopy at the United Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID)
- Human Volunteer for Experimental Vaccine Protocols
- Continued Army Medical Education
- Medical NCO Preparatory MOS 91B30: 8/1/88
- Additional Decorations, Medals and Ribbons
- Good Conduct Medal
- M16 Rifle Qualification Badge (Expert)
- Hand Grenade Qualification
- Honorable Discharge 3/3/89
Maryland Army National Guard: 4/89
91A10 Medical Specialist
- 104th Medical Battalion, Catonsville, Maryland
Reserved Officer Training Course (ROTC): 4/89-4/91
Johns Hopkins University
- Tumescent Anesthetic Breast Surgery (TABS): A Case Series Review of Primary and Secondary Breast Augmentation Surgery in an Office Based Surgical Center. Am J Cosmet Surg. 2012: 29: 233-242
- Aesthetic Surgery of the Breast: released 2015
- Tumescent Anesthetic Breast Surgery (TABS): Breast Augmentation Surgery in an Office-Based Surgical Center, Pages 107-119
- The Use of High-Profile and Extra-High-Profile Implants in Ptotic Breasts as an Alternative to Staged Augmentation/Mastopexy, Pages 739-763
- Liposuction: Principles and Practice: released 2016
- A combined lidocaine/ropivacaine formula for tumescent anesthesia, pages 75-86
- Essureal Journey. Concepts, Concerns and Considerations for Hysteroscopic Sterilization: released 2016
- The ESSURE system: Concerns regarding Polyethylene Terephthalate in Women's Health, pages 141-160.
- Primary Medical Consultant: Essure Problems Forum, Facebook
- Medical Consultant: Unglesby and Williams Law firm
- Tumescent Anesthetic Breast Surgery (TABS)
- January, 2012: 28th Annual Scientific Meeting, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- January, 2012: Fifth Annual World Conference of the International Society of Cosmetogynecology
- May, 2012: 28th Annual American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery (ASCBS) Workshop
- 7th Annual World Congress of ISCG
- January 14, 2014: Moderator - Taking tumescent anesthesia beyond cosmetic surgery. Its use in conventional OB/GYN surgery
- 8th Annual World Congress of ISCG
- January 15, 2015: Moderator - American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 31st Annual Scientific Meeting
- 9th Annual World Congress of ISCG
- January 12, 2016: The management of post operative Cesarean section pain using tumescent with lidocaine and ropivacaine
- 10th Annual World Congress of ISCG
- February 7, 2017: Breast implants placement in a transgender female using local tumescent anesthesia
- 11th Annual World Congress of ISCG
- January 29, 2018: Gynecomastia:Breast Lipousction versus Bulk Breast Tissue Removal Under Tumescent Anesthesia
- Guest commentator:
- July 27, 2018: The Bleeding Edge (Netflix documentary) by Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. Essure Permanent Sterilization System and Vaginal Meshes.