AWAKE Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) procedures involves the use of a diluted solution of local anesthetic and other medications to remove excess skin from the middle and lower abdomen while tightening the abdominal muscles and fascia of the abdominal wall. Most stretch marks are typically taken out along with the skin removal.
AWAKE Abdominoplasty is an outpatient procedure, avoiding a costly hospital charge under General Anesthesia. Since the patient remains awake during the surgery, the patient will see the results before the completion of the surgery.
AWAKE Tumescent Abdominoplasty has an unprecedented safety record and allows the surgeon to efficiently remove both deep and superficial excess layers of fat with little discomfort, faster recovery and improved cosmetic results. Patients see fewer skin irregularities, less bleeding, and reduced bruising.
- To begin the procedure, the doctor injects a solution into the fatty tissue that anesthetizes the area. It causes the area to become firm and swollen, which enables the surgeon to extract fat more accurately and uniformly.
- Small incisions are made in the skin around the treated area.
- After these incisions are made, a cannulas is inserted through these small openings and the fat is removed.
- Once the maximum benefit of liposuction is achieved, an elliptical incision to directly above the pubic area is made. A second incision is made around the belly button.
- Excess skin is removed with caution given to specifically resect only the dermis and preserve the subcutaneous structures
- Once resection is complete, the incisions are closed with Quill™ SRS wound closure sutures.
- The wounds are then covered with sterile gauze pads and elastic support garments are placed. The areas of the liposuction procedure may stay numb for 36 hours without further injection of lidocaine or other pain killers.
- After 30 minutes of observation, the patient is allowed to leave.